Reply to post:

NHS App gets go-ahead for vaccine passport use despite protest from privacy groups

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

>and using 'creeping compulsion' to encourage acceptance

You've misread this entirely. I'm saying these won't be used domestically. At all. If enough of the population are vaccinated you don't need to check individual vaccine status. That is the whole point of vaccinating everyone that we can. Why would businesses and employers go to the effort of checking if they don't need to? Where's the gain?

We've not seen any indication at all that anyone intends to use certificates domestically, or that the government will encourage such use. They'll take it as a triumph that they don't need to - it'll save a fortune and allow businesses to open up faster.

The exception to this is at the border, where many countries require certification of vaccination against a range of infectious diseases to enter. This includes diseases like yellow fever and TB.

If I can produce that certification for COVID digitally from my phone instead of from a tatty, dog-eared yellow pamphlet as in the days of old then... good! If you object to this data existing in the app then you simply object to the data existing within the NHS at all - all it does is reflect your patient record.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon