Reply to post: Re: They can’t charge for it anyway..

Facebook: Nice iOS app of ours you have there, would be a shame if you had to pay for it

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: They can’t charge for it anyway..

"One day of one IP is worse then all of your devices using one single IP for the duration of your DHCP lease how, exactly?"

In IPV4, all my devices use the same address so my network can be tracked. This is annoying, but there's little I can do about that. In IPV6, my network will assign addresses in the subnet allocated to me, so the same system can still track my network by looking at that prefix. My network is trackable either way. However, with individual addresses allocated to devices, the tracking can also track those devices. In addition to knowing they came from my network, they can also know what else they've done that day. It also lets them correlate a fingerprint on one activity to all activity from that device.

For example, with NAT if they fingerprint a browser running on one of my devices, they won't be able to identify traffic from another program on the same device. For all they know, that program is running on a different device in the same network. With individual addresses, they know exactly which device used it, and they can use that fingerprint to identify devices when the addresses change assuming they have a method which persists across days.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon