Reply to post: Re: Really ?

American schools' phone apps send children's info to ad networks, analytics firms

bombastic bob Silver badge
Big Brother

Re: Really ?

will join civilization and the respect of privacy.

Agreed. You'd think the ACLU would have more to say about this...

Also worthy of note, it may be that SOME (or maybe even ALL) of this tracking data is related to logins. How many phone-things will allow you to log in via Fa[e]cebook or Google? And at that point, the various SDKs do the tracking on behalf of the SDK maker [in this case, FB and Google]. Anyone who has put this particular kind of login feature into a phone application (or maintained code where it was in use) should understand.

You could probably say the same thing if a "Microsoft Login" were in use for the same purpose. These cloudy login services could EASILY track EVERYTHING you do.

Google uses Firebase for this. It's kinda integrated with the "app" deployment as well, last I checked anyway [it may have changed since the last time I had to use it]. And I would expect school-related software to have some kind of login. And a kid isn't going to want to type a password every time, so would most likely accept a one-button login feature.

And so we "circle back" to the core of the problem - those login SDKs that are tied in with the ad networks and tracking and everything else.

Just wanted to point all of that out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon