Reply to post: Re: So, it's a bubble?

WTH are NFTs? Here is the token, there is the Beeple....

EatsRootsAndLeaves

Re: So, it's a bubble?

> I'll happily agree that copyright is automatically assigned at the point of creation (though as you noted, that wasn't always the case - IIRC, in the USA, you had to register it).

Copyright in the US is now automatically assigned. But, copyright registration still exists. AND, in the US, if you want to be able to sue in federal court against perceived copyright infringement you must have registered it (slight simplification, see https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf.) Without registration you can still file DMCA requests, etc., but not sue. And since copyright is federal, you can only sue in federal court.

>E.g. back in the day, people used to put stuff in an sealed envelope and post it to themselves; as long as the seal remained unbroken, the mail date-stamp was considered proof.

>(Or at least: that was the recommendation I used to see in computer magazines when people asked about sending their games to publishers. I don't know if that was ever actually used in real life...)

What the US Copyright Office calls "Poor Man's Copyright." And absolutely useless. As note, since you can't sue without having registered your copyright, simply posting the document to yourself does nothing and is less than having a series of drafts and backups on USB key and the like.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon