Reply to post:

Philanthropist and ex-Microsoft manager Melinda Gates and her husband Bill split after 27 years of marriage

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

27 years is an astonishing run. I go into that excruciating mindlessly-congratulatory mode when I come across those who've spent the greater part with the same partner, though its not quite as insipid as celebrating people for still being alive or 'royal'. Subconsciously I'm sure its because I couldn't do it.

I - and the kind I (and they) fall for - want the affair, not the marriage. The whole point, of the whole thing, is raising kids; and that is typically how long marriages last - to which one might add that evolutionarily-speaking the kids are 'raised' when they're old enough raise their own. There's a silly little phase that shows us we really are organic machines directed by hormones to the extent of being unable to live without someone a few years on we'll wonder what we saw in - though the fucking was good! - then the cohabiting stage that, never having succeeded at, would be a bit rich for me to prognosticate on. But its probably about the ability to compromise. Just as there are some women who don't bond with their offspring, there are we dysfunctional types who can't seem to compromise enough to complete the process that's the only thing we're here for.

Maybe its laudable to have made at least one other person happy - to not be entirely selfish; to do 'good'. And a woman doesn't have to have children: there's no shortage of cats in need of sublimation!

Anyway it seems 'love' lasts about the no. of years required to raise the kids to nest-leaving time, and beyond that couples stay together because they're used to each other; which might be construed as having been worn down to timidity/ being in a rut, and actually its an act of wisdom to amicably separate, to 'move on' without the justification of manufactured hate. I would fall in love with someone who could do that, to be that centered.

And perhaps the greatest good is equitable redistribution of wealth; which requires that first you get it. I'm typing this in Windows 8.1, which with Classic Shell, Ribbon Disabler, and a reg file to remove the NameSpace entries handy, is an acceptable Windows 7 replacement, and is gratifyingly solid enough that I can do such a long post without half-expecting it to crash and lose it. How Bill Gates' Microsoft got here is questionable only in the sense that American business is questionable, in a nation that has always looked like the more successful legitimization of Organized Crime (having dethroned the British Empire) - although China may be taking the No.1 spot now. I have wished for him to speak out against Windows 10 and supposed that his silence implied being content with the money still rolling in; but even the el Reg commentariat has Windows 10 apologists, so maybe even that serves the wealth redistribution greater good?

Well, real life is shades of grey. But if splitting up after 27 years is traumatic it's because change is, but done right its refreshing, and these two obvious humanitarians look like they're doing it right. Something else I've no experience of is being a billionaire, but I'm sure its a great teacher if you're willing to learn.

Also its a refreshing way to join the 27 club.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon