Reply to post: Re: Software engineering

Known software issue grounds Ingenuity Mars copter as it attempted fourth flight

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Software engineering

Although I've no idea what software engineering the copter runs, I agree that there is something 'modern' about it that doesn't sit quite right with me. From the article on the systems it runs there seems to be a GHz-class CPU running a normal OS, plus multiple MCUs acting - essentially - as sensor nodes, which seems to me (granted as an occasional embedded dev but not in anything so critical or quite as complex as this) rather overkill to run a helicopter. Obviously one would set the WDT to attempt to encompass the potential range of spinup times, but having such a complex system would be expected to increase the probability of something being missed in testing.

Although it would be inappropriate to compare the HW in this machine to that required to land something on the Moon, one does still think that a lesser applications processor, running something more realtime/bare metal with direct control over its sensors, would have been more suited to the idiom of 'plan for the expected, but expect the unexpected' that space is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon