Reply to post:

Appeals court nixes online blueprint sharing ban on 3D-printed 'ghost guns'

Pirate Dave Silver badge
Pirate

"According to the posted document, law enforcement officers between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2020, have recovered 23,906 privately-made firearms at potential crime scenes, including 325 homicides or attempted homicides,"

Those numbers sound fishy. I've built my share of AKs from parts kits, and assembled a fair few ARs using complete lowers, and I have to say, I don't think most mass-murders would go to the trouble of building a "ghost gun". from an 80% kit or a flat. Why would they go to ALL THAT TROUBLE, and the possibility of screwing it up massively, when (pre-Covid) a completed lower from Anderson or Palmetto State Armory could be had for under $50 that's in-spec (mostly) and vastly more reliable than whatever crap they'd turn out with their drill press and a couple of jigs? And the Glock 80% kits are an even stupider idea, because not only do they have to cut and drill the frame accurately (and again, risk failure), but then they get to spend almost the full retail price of an entire new Glock to buy the trigger and slide kit to make it into a pistol. That's immensely stupid given how many stolen firearms are floating around in the underground for not a lot of money.

I do realize that, for whatever reason, "ghost guns" are in the cross-hairs right now, so the Administration (and their lapdogs in the media) are going to be pushing statistics that justify their goals. But this stat about "privately-made firearms" just seems like bunk, unless the FBI/ATF considers scratching one's name into the side of the gun to be a criteria for "privately-made".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon