Reply to post: Why is DevClass a separate website?

Why is DevClass a separate website?

Dave559 Silver badge

There has never been an exact definition of what sorts of IT topics The Register covers, as far as I am aware, but I am sure that many of the readership have interests, to an at least passing or often more significant degree, in programming, application or web development, and even (gulp) devops? Would it not just be simpler to have such topics as a specific section in The Register itself?

I rarely read or skim the DevClass site, partly because it is separate, partly because the article headings and teaser text don't often seem to catch my interest, partly because the site homepage layout is nowhere near as efficient in its use of space as The Register (2 columns versus 4, so very much harder to spot articles of interest), and, very much not least, because it doesn't have a comments section.

The comments on The Register often add (no disrepect intended) as much value and extra useful information as do the articles themselves, and it would be great if it were possible to keep up with similar interesting and informative discussions about development topics as well, and perhaps even act as a good place for asking questions and getting advice from The Register's diverse and knowledgeable readers (most of us, anyway).

Often there might be an issue that you need advice about, but the strict bondage Q and A format of a certain well known question exchange network can mean that questions that are not very close formulated (because you don't yet know the exact specifics of what you need to ask, but you do have a reasonable idea (as opposed to just very poor questions)) can get mercilessly closed as off-topic. It would be good if there was a way for Register commenters to be able to share their knowledge and experience of such issues, and help each other out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon