Reply to post: Re: Check out Freakonomics episode 454

Traffic lights, who needs 'em? Lucky Kentucky residents up in arms over first roundabout

My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
Thumb Up

Re: Check out Freakonomics episode 454

In my opinion, roundabouts are helping here in Macomb County, Michigan (north of Detroit, of all places).

The first major one (2-3 lanes, no lights) can be a bit of a mess when certain directions back up, but a particular couple (only yards apart, both 2 lanes) have been a HUGE improvement over the former light-induced gridlock. Most others are small single-lane affairs replacing stop signs that work but they don't experience as much traffic.

The County is planning more and I'm glad for it.

I've commuted, I've driven the family around (school, church, errands), and I've even done gig driving (GrubHub). Anything that reduces crashes and delays while increasing general throughput is fine with me.

Now, if you want to talk about the effectiveness of the "Michigan Left", be ready for a flame war -- many on both sides feel strongly. I've been here 16 of my 41 years and am mixed about it, especially since the devil is in the details about the turnaround distance from main intersection, turnaround width (some are way too narrow), light timings, etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon