Reply to post: Re: At Katrinab, re: Intel.

PCs continue to sell like hot cakes and industry can barely keep up with demand – analyst

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: At Katrinab, re: Intel.

But you can no longer buy AMD A-series processors, which up until last year were extremely good value for money for most desktop, remote, streaming or business uses. The lowliest Ryzen costs at least twice as much as the old A8 and is very much overkill for the home NAS I want to rebuild which currently sports an AMD E450.

Low- and mid-end AMD graphics cards are out of stock everywhere, and when you do find one it's twice the price it would have been a year or so ago. I wanted to buy a £30-£40 card as an easy upgrade to an old system that's been getting a hammering recently, but no joy.

Intel still sells cheap processors but they're not terribly impressive, nor the motherboards into which they fit. I might find an Intel processor which would suit my NAS but none of the motherboards into which it would fit has more than four SATA ports, and I need six.

It's only a few years ago that I was building 'good enough' desktops for under £200. These days to hit that price point you'll have to be looking at a Raspberry Pi!

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon