Reply to post: Re: I am disappoint...

British IT teacher gets three-year ban after boozing with students at strip club during school trip to Costa Rica

Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: I am disappoint...

17 years olds drinking with their teachers has much to commend it. Less likely to get bladdered and the kids see that drinking sensibly can be fun.

I certainly remember that growing up in a culture of prohibition inculcalted a desire in my generation to get drunk. Hence, a fondness for cheap and disgusting Thunderbird, White Lightning, etc.

I also remember trying to take my younger brother into a pub with me for a breather during Christmas shopping and be refused entry – he'd have only got and wanted a soft drink. Because I'd already been to the continent a few times where in many countries it's perfectly normal to see whole families in bars, this really jarred and still echoes discrimination againts families, though I think things have improved a bit since then.

That said, I think recent research indicates that young adults are particularly sensitive to alcohol so moderation really should be observed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon