Reply to post: Re: Rednecks incoming.....

Harassers and bullies succeed in tech because silence is encouraged

cornetman Silver badge

Re: Rednecks incoming.....

> But what happens when it's the 4th , 5th or 6th person making the complaint?

Depends.

If the original complaint was known of generally, then it tends to attract others, some with a grudge, others just because they want a piece of the attention. Hell, we see it all the time over the Twitterwebs. Someone makes a public allegation and suddenly hundreds of people turn up all singing the same tune. They might all have a valid point, or they might be just airing a grievance ranging from "yeah, that guy was pretty creepy" to "he had the temerity to ask me out, what a loser" to "he touched me the other day and it grossed me out". This is exactly how witch-hunts start.

Allegations are just allegations. Not worth the paper they probably aren't written on. The thing is though, if the alleged perpetrator really is making an arse of themselves, the more often they do it, the more likely they are going to slip up and they will get caught.

We have all a duty to stick up for victims, but we also have to realise that people *do* make fake and malicious accusations. Sorting out one from the other is not always very straightforward. The maliciously accused are victims as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon