Reply to post: Re: Peloton just like a Corvair?

Lock up your Peloton smart treadmills, watchdog warns families following one death, numerous injuries

jake Silver badge

Re: Peloton just like a Corvair?

"Once it was modified."

Having owned a couple of bone-stock examples (a 1962 and a 1966), I disagree. But don't take my word for it, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed#Criticisms_of_the_book

In the March 1963 issue of Mechanix Illustrated, Tom McCahill tried to get a 1963 Corvair to roll, at one point sliding sideways into a street curb, but could not turn the vehicle over.

The Texas Transportation Institute (TTl) Texas A&M University Research Foundation tested the car extensively and concluded "The 1960-1963 Corvair understeers in the same manner as conventional passenger cars up to about 0.4g lateral acceleration, makes a transition from understeer, through neutral steer, to oversteer in a range from about 0.4g to 0.5g lateral acceleration. This transition does not result in abnormal potential for loss of control. The limited accident data available indicates that the rollover rate of the 1960-1963 Corvair is comparable to other light domestic cars. The 1960-1963 Corvair compared favorably with the other contemporary vehicles used in the NHTSA Input Response Tests. The handling and stability performance of the 1960-1963 Corvair does not result in an abnormal potential for loss of control or rollover and it is at least as good as the performance of some contemporary vehicles both foreign and domestic.”

Nader, who is not an engineer, nor did he have a driver's license at the time, had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. I personally have taken everything he says, about anything, with a grain of salt ever since. But I have to thank him for his hand in helping to create the skeptic that I am today.

Don't tell me, show me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon