Reply to post: Re: "more of a super-cruise-control"

'There was no one driving that vehicle': Texas cops suspect Autopilot involved after two men killed in Tesla crash

Daniel Hill

Re: "more of a super-cruise-control"

I'm in a similar situation, but I have enough usable sight to carry out most day-to-day tasks. My vision is just not quite up to the standard required for a UK Driving License.

(In some states of the US, someone with far worse vision than me would be allowed to drive with a bioptic telescope, a fact I find somewhat scary!)

Proper self-driving would be a game changer for me, and others in a similar situation, even if adaptations for people with no or very limited functional vision took a little bit longer.

However, if the demand is there, I'd hope the manufacturers (or third party suppliers) will rise to meet it, and in my experience, people with visual impairments are often incredibly adaptable and ingenious, finding ways to do tasks that a fully-sighted person would consider to be impossible without functional vision.

Take the petrol pump issue for example, there are phone apps that would allow you to point the camera at the pump handle and it'll tell you what colour it is. Slower, perhaps, but it would do the job!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon