Reply to post: Re: Correlation or causation?

God bless this mess: Study says UK's Christian beliefs had 'important' role in Brexit

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Correlation or causation?

If you're youngish, it might have been Labour who put you in your current situation in 2016. To have stronger feelings about Thatcher, rather than Blair, you'd expect someone to be in their 50s maybe?

Whereas if you're in your 70s you might have stronger feelings about the 70s than Thatcher.

I'm not quite sure when political identities form, but it does seem to take many people a long time to change their minds once made up.

My Nan was still blaming Labour personally (and angrily) for our lack of preparedness for WWII in the 80s. This being because she'd joined the peace movement in the late 20s and marched against re-armament - and presumably as part of admitting what she thought was a huge mistake she was determined to blame those around her. Her house was bombed in September 1940 and Hitler destroyed her brand new saucepans. That Hitler, what a bastard!

She also signed the pledge in the 20s, in her idealistic youth. Never to drink alcohol in her life. I'm still not sure if she thought that was a worse mistake than marching against re-armament and thus sending her brothers off to war inadequately equipped...

My Mum (in her 80s) is still bitter about the 1970s - and that is her go-to reason for being hugely anti-Labour.

But not that many people remember politics in detail. So who you blame for a specific situation may be the one who dealt with it last, or the most memorable one to do so?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon