Reply to post: IT people aren't often people people

Harassers and bullies succeed in tech because silence is encouraged

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

IT people aren't often people people

I work in a place with all the right anti-bullying and harassment policies are in place. They just aren't enforced.

I had an employee regularly make serious false accusations aginst me informally to other managers, I was told flat out by HR that since I was the manager I was just expected to accept it, "a manager cannot be harassed or bullied", yet if i tried to work this person out the door for their misconduct I would be subject the the full might of the policies.

This was only resolved when I stated to managment that if nothing was done I'd resign. I was offered a demotion to move the person away. They are still in post and still making accusations against collegues and their current manager.

I am also aware of IT staff who have claimed and evidence bullying (from female managers) that the senior management simply refuse to address it and brush it away. In effect unless you are physically assaulted at work in front of witnesses, or overtly racist sexists slurs are made in front of witnesses then the basic response it to do nothing. And doing nothing is widely supported by HR.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon