Reply to post: Re: Cult and control

Key Perl Core developer quits, says he was bullied for daring to suggest programming language contained 'cruft'

Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Cult and control

I take that point. UI is very subjective. But usability may not be. And from that POV it's not uncommon for FOSS to have idiosyncratic layout etc. Sometimes with a very steep learning curve for no apparent reason. I never try to influence that. I might not try too hard to use it, but I don't try to change it.

My rule of thumb there is if it's a Windows programme that doesn't behave like other Windows programmes it has to be for a very good reason or worth the effort to learn. A key is it should be either familiar or intuitive. If I click on a button that seems to be needed to do something and something unexpected happens instead I'm going to be very cautious about it. Or if it has some strange default setting (like saving in an unexpected location) that also requires a complex procedure to get back to how I need it. I have one freeware (with paid pro version) graphics type programme, for example, that does a very simple job very well, but has numerous layout settings that don't readily translate to how it will appear on the page. But it does do that one job well, so I've worked out how to get a good approximation of what I need. I don't use it often. I sometimes use it, I don't recommend it to anyone else.

Usually though it's some simple thing, like a horizontal scroll bar that won't allow you scroll past a certain point until after you've tried to drag content into an inadequate space at the end of a row.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon