Reply to post: State sponsorship and Organised Criminals?

Average convicted British computer criminal is young, male, not highly skilled, researcher finds

Eclectic Man Silver badge
Unhappy

State sponsorship and Organised Criminals?

I assume the article refers to hackers not sponsored by a Hostile State or organised crime of some form, but just people who individually 'hacked' into some computers for nefarious purposes.

Certainly the people who used perfectly understood means to create electronic accounts in my name and then transfer money from my savings accounts with passbook and signature only access, so that they could then empty the Internet account*, were competent, but does that count as hacking under the investigation? They were well-organised and criminal so I'd tag them as 'organised crime'. BTW, no-one is actually looking for these people. Action Fraud aren't interested as 'I have not been the victim of a crime' (I got the money back), and according to them 'identity theft' is not a crime**.

*(They 'only' got about £45k, which I got back from the building society.)

**(Yes, I know this is a contentious issue, but I've been informed of this by both ActionFraud and Thames Valley Police, and am a bit p***ed off by having to repeat it. You can legally call yourself by any name you choose in the UK, it is the stealing of money that is illegal, and that, it seems has to be reported by whoever actually loses the money.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon