Reply to post: Re: Lost at Sea

A floppy filled with software worth thousands of francs: Techie can't take it, customs won't keep it. What to do?

Stoneshop

Re: Lost at Sea

Possible, though the content of that notesfile tended to be first hand experiences, or "$name from our branch office here in $location_code".

As FS tech I had to visit military sites too, though not very often and not, like one US colleague who just stopped as he had to re-tie a shoelace, suddenly looking at the business end of two firearms. In my case I had to disassemble[0] any RA81 HDAs that had failed, taking the platters out to leave onsite, so that the shell could be shoved back into the logistics channel satisfying that part of the process. At some point there was a sizeable stack of platters in the corner of the computer room, and curiously I asked how they were going to dispose of those. The sysadmin then went over to his desk and handed me a presse-papier, which was a blob of metal with one side cut flat. "Those platters, plus thermite. We'll let you know when the next session is."

[0] bit of a bugger, as the HDAs came from Kaufbeuren with the shell halves bolted together using metric fasteners, outside torx bolts to boot, where my toolkit was meant for the US-sized stuff holding VAXes together.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon