Reply to post:

Sitting comfortably? Then it's probably time to patch, as critical flaw uncovered in npm's netmask package

Claptrap314 Silver badge

It took WAY too much effort to parse the article simply because I had no expectation that octets would treat a leading 0 as meaning that what follows is in octal.

Quick question: How would you parse 011.011.011.011? I would expect it to be decimal because I've got it in my head that some systems (old Windows? I don't know!) require three digits.

I could be completely wrong of course, and THAT is why I rely on a library to handle such things. In fact I did not even know that 1.2.3 was a valid IPv4 address until I grabbed the python library for a test project.

So, yes. If I'm faced with identifying, finding, reading, interpreting, and implementing some RFC, I'm going to instead look for a library with a decent reputation and use it.

IF, (and I do mean IF) I happen to observe something weird (like accepting 1.2.3 as a valid IPv4 address), I'll check around and see if that's correct.

But I'm probably NOT going to trust an npm. There is WAY too much bad mojo in that space.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon