Reply to post: Re: MTBF

OVH reveals it's scrubbing servers – to get smoke residue off before rebooting

Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: MTBF

" the only way to refurbish smoke exposed electronics would be a bath in some inert cleaning agent. "

Soapy water, ultrasonic cleaners, IPA baths, etc

It takes time and rapidly costs more than just replacing the kit once cascade failures are factored in

Once of the BIG problems with insurers is when "loss adjusters" who aren't competent at their jobs end up in the position

A classic example is a motor scooter I had 35 years ago that got knocked off its side stand and panels cracked. Ex factory they're dipped and treated so they stay the same colour for years.

Bozo loss adjuster decided the damaged panels could be painted.

They came back not macthing the rest of the bike.

ALL the panels were then repainted - and because of pearl coating's different behaviour in different light angles, adjacent panels didn't match because they'd all been painted differebt ways up

The all went back again - and 3 panels came back damaged - the whole lot had to go back again to be repainted when the replacement panels showed up and they still didnt match

this went around several times - at one point I ghot the machine back and rejected it after 3 weeks when the panels all started going different colours under sunlight exposure

It ended up taking 7 months and costing 4 times as much as a new BIKE ($6000 in 1986) because the adjuster decided to save $400 and "his mate was a painting expert" - who had to repaint the same machine 6 times before he did an acceptable job

The final result? EVERY SINGLE PANEL was replaced with factory new ones - the bike shop then managed to shatter several smaller ones whilst installing them only to find out they were out of production

I really would've liked to be a fly on the wall of that insurer, but the loss adjuster was gone shortly afterwards

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon