Reply to post: Re: Who can spot the hypocrisy?

Free Software Foundation urged to free itself of Richard Stallman by hundreds of developers and techies

khanfisher

Re: Who can spot the hypocrisy?

>the label has to fit

I disagree. I've seen plenty of people who aren't something be labelled as that thing in order to ostracize them. Or does the label of 'witch' have to be accurate for witch-hunting to work? Well, she has to be ugly and have a wart and be a social recluse, I suppose, that's good enough, burn her.

The amount of nuance people will accept has gone way down as a result of the desire to be able to cancel people. You can fit any label on to anyone if you squint enough, or cherry-pick what they say, or just don't read what they said; or if they ever said anything contentious, or that could be read in a poor way out of context. There goes 99% of the interesting, nuanced speech about any topic anybody actually cares about, there goes any consideration of the viewpoint of The Enemy, because people on twitter are blind- willfully or not- to nuance, as that gets in the way of doing what's fun- burning people on a crusade.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon