Reply to post: I'm left wondering...

SK Hynix boss predicts CPUs and RAM will merge, chipmakers will hold hands to make it happen

Shadow Systems

I'm left wondering...

What about DIY system builders that find the best components to do a specific job, including the ability to add more RAM at a later point to maintain system viability ("future proofing"), but then won't be able to do that because the CPU+RAM is all one unit that would require upgrading the entire package rather than just the bit (RAM) that needs the upgrade?

I mean, if I've got a 5GHz CPU that still does what I need, but I want to go from 32 to 64GB of RAM, will I end up needing to buy an entire new motherboard, CPU+RAM package, & all the newer add-on cards to go with the new motherboard "improvements" used to screw us out of our money for no damned good reason other than they can?

I don't see DIY enthusiasts scrambling to acquire the CPU+RAM over separate CPU & RAM components if it means having to buy all new hardware every time they want to upgrade.

*Hands a pint to whomever can answer this in terms we non-theoretical-electrical-engineers can understand*

=-J

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon