Reply to post: Re: Site Installation

From Maidenhead to Morocco: In a change to the scheduled programming, we bring you The On Call of Dreams

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Site Installation

Back in the early 80s I was in Rome on business with 3 colleagues. We should have returned to the UK on Friday but the French air traffic controllers had gone on strike (again) and our flight was cancelled. We stayed another night in the hotel and the next morning the word came that our flight was due to go in the not too distant future. I got the hotel to call a taxi, a nice Mercede W123, and explained to the driver that we were in a hurry. That was a mistake! I looked around and there were 3 grinning monkeys in the back seat and I was left the front passenger seat, in the position that a driver would be in back home in the UK. We went down lots of side streets overtaking stationery cars by driving with one wheel on the pavement/sidewalk. I was relieved when we got on the autostrada and started getting near 100 mph. Suddenly the driver slowed right down and about a mile ahead the autostrada was coned down to one lane. At the beginning of the cones was a carabiniero with a radar gun. A few hundred yards/metres further on was another with a notebook. About a kilometer further on was a soldier with a sub-machine gun. The driver waited until he passed the latter before speeding up again. We made our flight though!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon