Reply to post: Re: not excited about the 'wayland' thing

What's in Fedora 34? GNOME 40, accelerated Wayland, PipeWire Audio, improved Flatpak support, and more

bombastic bob Silver badge
Meh

Re: not excited about the 'wayland' thing

not downvoting you. You have expressed a discussion-worthy common misconception about Xorg and whether or not it is being maintained or has a future. If necessary, it would be forked like Mate.

My actual *FEAR* here is that (for some reason) Fedora is now RH-beta, and RH seems to carry actual WEIGHT whenever their engineers foist something upon the POSIX OS GUI desktop world.

For normal workstation I use FreeBSD. For Linux I use Devuan, and Raspbian/RaspberryOS when I have to. I reject as much of Poettering's contributions as possible.

Also, keep in mind, that change is NOT always a GOOD thing. Sometimes it's called "going bad" or "rotting". When your primary focus is GETTING WORK DONE, you do NOT need your tools to change shape and/or appearance and/or functionality, requiring you to RE-LEARN for an extended period of time INSTEAD OF DOING PRODUCTIVE THINGS. And the use of DISPLAY is one of those productivity things that means _I_ will _NEVER_ use Wayland until they implement it!!!

For size you need to consider that the modules included with Xorg support many obsolete displays, and drawing code that supports them [example, VGA 4-bit planes] whereas a "modern" display is probably 24-bit or 32-bi RGB or RGBA and the code to manipulate individual color pixels is MUCH simpler than it was for 16-color VGA. That doesn't even mention the myriad of display drivers...

In any case, this Fedora release is probably an indicator of where RH wants to take us. I may not want to go along for the ride... at ALL.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon