Reply to post: Re: Why not fork Android + make it a shell

UBports community delivers 'second-largest release of Ubuntu Touch ever'

gobaskof Silver badge

Re: Why not fork Android + make it a shell

There is a difference between a fork and a downstream.

If you fork Android you must continue doing all the dev work for android forever more, you soon become out of sync and incompatible with new android and you are maintaining a huge codebase that for years has been designed to be incomplete and require proprietary services.

If you make a downstream, as people have tried before you are at the mercy of Google each time they pull a part of the OS you are relying on. Bering 100% at the mercy of the competition is not a good place to be.

I do worry that Ubuntu touch/Plasma active are developing too slow to ever be good enough. But at least if they do they will be maintained by a community that built them and understand them. Unfortunately as a frequent traveller to areas where WiFi is not a thing and 4G is the only means of communication, I rely on my phone too heavily to experiment with the OS. But then I have been in lockdown for a year, and all my funding has been cut by the AID budget reduction, so I am probably not going anywhere too sool. Maybe I should build a time machine and install Plasma active this time last year?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021