Reply to post: How much business did they do here anyway?

FCC moves forward with plan to ban three Chinese telcos from American market

Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

How much business did they do here anyway?

(I'm laying aside the political aspects of this, and just looking at the practical aspects.)

I wonder how much ComNet, Pacific Networks, or China Unicom hardware there is here in the states anyway? I've heard of ZTE and Huawei, but ZTE did very few phone or tablet sales here, and none of the big cell cos users Huawei equipment. I haven't heard of ComNet or Pacific Networks at all; and I've heard of China Unicom, but in terms of if I went to China, my phone could roam on China Unicom, not in terms of selling any equipment here.

There was some ZTE and Huawei equipment running here mostly among some wireless internet providers; these WISPs use a variety of technologies, in general the site equipment and CPE (customer premises equipment) are same-brand. In the distant past Motorola Canopy at 900mhz was common (not sure what technology this used, it was apparently good for up to like 2 or 3mpbs per user), more recently there's a variety of bands, and 4G LTE, or 5Gnr, or straight-up cable-modem style DOCSIS on 6mhz channels but going over the air on their licensed band instead of over a coax cable.

This was a bit of a mess apparently, the order to remove the ZTE and Huawei equipment gave until some date, and (due to COVID-related increases in internet traffic) a fund for WISPs to upgrade their equipment started like a month or two AFTER that deadline. Several WISPs pointed out they were going to have all their equipment replaced, severely depleting their funds, then be inelligible for this fund because all their equipment's just been replaced and is brand new. This was apparently unintentional so I don't know if they worked out some kind of reimbursements from the fund or not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon