Reply to post: Re: Gamers also have to contend with bots and scalpers looking to make a profit

Someone defeated the anti-crypto-coin-mining protection for Nvidia's 'gamers only' RTX 3060 ... It was Nvidia

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Gamers also have to contend with bots and scalpers looking to make a profit

"hypercompetitive gaming"

Quick note: In that field rasterisation is what is important and aside from some old CRT/strobe based view monitors, the limitation is set by the monitor at 1440p and 120fps (natively _AND_ clean). For that, you don't need 1 of these new fancy cards.

If you can find an old big heavy view monitor (and have the $$$), buy it and hang on to it... even have it repaired!! You can block out true white, lines up to 4000 (unless you get a REALLY expensive one) and refresh rate is whatever you want (realistically up to 600 before break down). I had 2 old SGI monitors (even supported 16bit color!), but at the time (~20 years ago) I thought something better would come along so I pitched them after a few minor issues. Yeh... mistake (although they weren't light by any means). As a bonus, you can to some extent daisy chain them which is a VERY nice feature that has been lost in the move to flat panels (this feature would be good for gaming conventions).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon