Reply to post:

Would you let users vouch for unknown software's safety with an upvote? Google does

Claptrap314 Silver badge

As an ex-Googler, this was my thought exactly. This looks like a very Googly solution to a very Googly problem.

When I was there, we had >30,000 devs. And one code repository. There is nothing like the feeling of being one of a hundred or so people responsible for figuring out if you personally had broken the build. "Builds character", I believe is the phrase. So personal responsibility is a real thing.

Moreover, like most shops, I was root on my box. The ME was beyond my reach, which was good. And yes, there developers are better than average, which also matters.

Having said all of that, I don't believe for a moment that this tool is a match of what is actually going on inside. The priesthood of readability is already well established, and it makes 0 sense to allow a green grad to directly affect such a process. I expect that there is a new priesthood for this, and that the priesthood is functioning with a tool like this one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon