Reply to post: Re: I'm somewhat miffed

After spending $45bn on 5G licences, Verizon tells customers to turn off 5G to save battery life

Roland6 Silver badge

Re: I'm somewhat miffed

>One plan being to add them to street lights as they get replaced, or local road signs etc. (The repeaters only need power, they use a microwave link for data).

Easier said than done...

Basically, you need the permission of whoever owns the lamp or sign to mount anything permanent on it and to tap into the power supply. Naturally, this space and power doesn't come free, also many lamp posts are being switched off and removed...

However, this overlooks the backhaul issue. Microwave is basically line-of-sight, which from most (UK) street furniture means the only path is down the length of the pavement - any route that involves crossing traffic only becomes viable (and reliable) if the microwave equipment can be mounted at 5+ metres ie. higher than a double decker bus. Naturally, in all cases trees and other vegetation can also cause problems.

Given what's involved, I suspect the networks aren't really bothering with repeaters - only deploying them in certain and limited situations.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon