Reply to post:

Splunk junks 'hanging' processes, suggests you don't 'hit' a key: More peaceful words now preferred in docs

John Robson Silver badge

What used to be called dummy data is indeed test data - it's not an exhaustive test data suite, but it's part of the testing process.

Putting John Smith in as a name is a basic test, does this do something sensible with the most basic (and correct) data I can use.

Sanitisation is cleaning, so that is almost certainly fine.

Sanity is an outdated reference to mental health - so you probably need something else there (again, what is a sanity check if not a really basic test).

Again note that I know I am from a background that makes me a particularly unqualified person to judge most of these terms.

Although I do now find conversations interesting when people repeatedly call accessible parking, or accessible toilets, "disabled". Have you broken the parking space in some way, is it no longer able to function as a parking space? Have you disconnected the toilet so that it doesn't work any more?

I know it's a cultural thing, but it's also fairly easy to see why the names are important. I am not defined by my disability - I use a wheelchair because that is safer and easier (and when using a wheelchair is easier than not doing so, you know that not doing so must be pretty damned hard) as well as allowing me to engage with other people, and do minor things (like look after my kids) whilst walking from A to B. But *my* disability is effectively mitigated by appropriate aids (wheelchair, hearing aids etc) and is much more about how the environment is poorly set up than anything else.

Just to really put the boot in about accessible design... I can't deal with stairs when in a wheelchair, but can't deal with ramps when I'm not in one - so I am quite aware that not all accessibility needs are identical.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon