Reply to post: Re: One benefit of the reduced number of smokers...

A word to the Wyse: Smoking cigars in the office is very bad for you... and your monitor

jake Silver badge

Re: One benefit of the reduced number of smokers...

I use my ultrasonic cleaner more for carburetor bodies, jets, airbleeds & the like than for electronics components these days.

Hint: Scrape off all the gunk you can before running it in the cleaner, just use it for stubborn varnish and interior passages. If you toss in a typical filthy junkyard carb, all that gunk will find it's way into the interior passages & you'll be worse of than when you started.

Hint 2: Use Pinesol instead of carb cleaner. It's cheaper and does as good a job. Just make sure to remove all plastic & rubber parts first (pinesol will eat some types of rubber and plastic). I use one part pinesol to five parts hot water ... it helps if your cleaner has a heater function.

Hint 3: Rinse well, three or more times, in warm water. Blow dry with shop air immediately.

Hint 4: If you have a very good fume hood, use it. Otherwise, run the cleaner outdoors and down-wind! Pinesol fumes permeating your shop isn't fun, and sticks around for days.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon