Reply to post: If I had Bezos' money

Bezos denied: New Glenn launch pushed into 2022 after Space Force says no

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

If I had Bezos' money

I'd shrug at the failure to get that contract, and start talking (if I hadn't already) to companies like Bigelow, with a view to creating the first rotating space habitat so that the effects of very low simulated gravity. Currently, we have lots of data on the effects of 1G on living organisms, and some data on 0G, but none for any values between 0 and 1. Questions like "how much gravity is sufficient for human heath?" need to be answered, and the only way to do so is to create something in orbit that is habitable, that spins.

Even if the first spinning space station (Maybe a couple of Bigelow habs with a docking port in the middle?) was only able to simulate 0.01G, it'd be highly useful, as we could find out how that affects plant growth, and does it make any measurable difference to the problems that 0G causes humans? Over time, as larger and larger space stations become practical to bud, the effects of higher and higher simulated fractional gravity could be investigated. A great many researchers would be VERY interested in doing that sort of research,

I'd also speak to the British Interplanetary Society about their Scorpion ship design. First company to build something like that could well make a fortune in hauling infrastructure (whether to and from the Moon or asteroids) and on contracts for crewed deep-space exploration missions. I'd happily sink some personal money into all the above if I had Bezos' money. Call me financially naieve if you will (it'd be true!) but I don't understand why failure to get that contract would delay a first launch of New Glenn at all. Surely is first test launch would be good advertising , if successful, and would get people starting to think about what they could do with the capability of putting that much mass nto spce?

That sad - I loathe Bezos for the way Amazon workers are treated. On the one hand , yaay, ore big reusable spaceships! On the other Boo, that ones from Bezos! Gripping hand -we need better launch capability with all possible speed, to ensure we don't take another fifty years just to get humans beyond Luna.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon