Reply to post: Dust

A word to the Wyse: Smoking cigars in the office is very bad for you... and your monitor

Eclectic Man Silver badge
Unhappy

Dust

Even after the indoor smoking ban offices could be health hazards for the hard of breathing (I.e., asthmatics). I move office and got that joy of joys a Window Seat :O) Yay me!

Problem was that the next desk to mine was used as a sort of 'dump' for not currently used but lets keep it just in case I need it equipment by the guy in the next desk along. The cleaners would clean any horizontal surface not covering in equipment, and not clean any of the equipment.

Whenever the air conditioning was on, it would disturb the top few layers of dust that had accumulated over the years and set off my asthma, so I'd often need to take my inhaler.

I waited for a day that 'old Steve' was out of the office, and brought in a fully charged cordless vacuum cleaner*, and vacuumed the lot, and then used screen clean foam on the desk, carefully replacing the kit close to where it had been before, but now relieved of its burden of old skin flakes, house dust mites and their faeces etc. (The clue being that this kit was so old and so covered in dust that I didn't think he would ever use any of it again.)

Result - no more asthma attacks. I don't know if 'old Steve' noticed, he didn't say anything.

* We were banned from connecting any non-company electric equipment to the mains power supply without permission and a valid test certificate from the man with the avo-meter, and I'm not aware of any effective vacuum cleaner that works off a USB power supply.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon