Reply to post: Re: Emergeny calls

Copper broadband phaseout will leave UK customers with higher bills and less choice, says comparison site

Yet Another Hierachial Anonynmous Coward

Re: Emergeny calls

What about non-broadband and non-voice services? For most of my working life (35+ years) I have been involved with many forms of copper delivered BT leased line circuits. From analogue presented 2-wires, through kilostreams, megastreams, ISDN etc. All those years ago (and before) 2-wire circuits were often used in the process industry for remote monitoring/control, by using a variety of audible tones, variable, fixed, intermittant, etc. Then PLC's came along, with modems chirping back and forth at 300 or 1200 baud, etc. Then IP appeared, and leased lines were used to connect WAN ports between routers before telco could offer native IP circuits, Lots of stuff, weird and wonderful, operated with leased lines. You could even get DC connected leased lines at one time - ie. a direct physical pair of cables from one side of town to another.

Has every single telecomms application moved to IP? Is there an IP interface for every conceivable real world application - or were all the systems I worked on adopted to suit the telco availability of the day? All these reports and marketing people seem to think telecomms is all about voice and broadband - is there anything else out there still?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon