Reply to post: Re: Strongly discouraged

Microsoft unveils swappable SSDs for Surface Pro 7+ but 'strongly discourages' users from upping their capacity

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Strongly discouraged

My guess is one of these happened:

Option 1:

Manager: Let's prevent people upgrading their drives so they have to buy a new product when they run out.

Engineer: That sounds fun. I can think of several ingenious ways to make them break weirdly by messing with the firmware.

Option 2:

Manager 1: Let's prevent people upgrading their drives so they have to buy a new product when they run out.

Manager 2: Good idea, but having an engineer mess with the firmware would be expensive. Let's just say things that make it sound like we did.

Manager 1: What if people try and it works fine?

Manager 2: The paranoia of expecting that an engineer will have messed with the firmware so it will break later will get to them soon enough.

I'd also like to know whether these are any different from normal hardware. The article notes that the ones for the Surface Pro X are a little different, but doesn't comment on these, perhaps because IFixit hasn't gotten any of them yet. I really hope they haven't taken a standard part and forced it into a slightly different package just to lock people in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon