Reply to post: Network = $

Linux Mint users in hot water for being slow with security updates, running old versions

yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Network = $

I don't have broadband. That means many GBs of updates runs through my data plan, becomes an overage, and costs me _serious_ money. Automatic update sucks big-time, especially an OS update that starts when I'm not looking and can't be turned off until it finishes. I'm looking at you Microsoft. I'm looking at you Apple. I have automatic update turned off as much as possible, but these clowns turn it back on when I'm not looking. Or they allow me to turn it "off", but then they don't respect their own setting when it's the second full moon in the month, or something. Example: Apple say my iPad will update "When it's locked, connected to wifi, and connected to power". There's no setting to change that, and anyway it's not even true. It will update anytime it damn well pleases if it's locked and connected to wifi. So I have to remember to disconnect from wifi every time I lock it. When I was working in the office I would use the corporate wifi. These days I use the library wifi, and since they are closed that means standing outside in the frigid weather. But it's warming up so it looks like I can update in relative comfort this weekend. If Linux starts doing the same shit with automatic update, I am going postal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon