Reply to post: Re: Air-gap

CD Projekt Red 'EPICALLY pwned': Cyberpunk 2077 dev publishes ransom note after company systems encrypted

SJP

Re: Air-gap

If you want to be pedantic about the term, "major company", it has nothing to do with number of employees. It's about revenue. On that basis, CD Projekt Red also would not be considered a major company, but I wasn't being pedantic with my use of that term.

Avoiding air-gapping even outside of a pandemic, does not refute the benefits of air-gapping. The point I raised about COVID-19 throwing a spanner in the works, is merely to say that a pandemic makes air-gapping essentially impossible to work with during that pandemic.

I've personally been involved with numerous air-gapped systems/data in corporate law. Where teams of people had access to systems and data which were physically and logically confined.

Air-gapping is a thing and it's not just used inside mountains by NORAD types. Other industries use air-gapping also. It's used for life critical systems, major infrastructure, finance and it is also used in software development.

The outcome here says it all though. If it is vital to your company that the Intellectual Property in your source code be kept secured, under normal circumstances air-gapping with minimum privs can be a viable option. It certainly is for some.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon