Reply to post:

Citibank accidentally wired $500m back to lenders in user-interface super-gaffe – and judge says it can't be undone

juice

I've posted before about the time I opened my payslip to discover an unexpectedly large lump of money sitting there; I'd recently claimed for overtime and hadn't realised that you were meant to claim for "units" rather than per hour.

E.g. instead of claiming a single "8+ hours overtime" unit, I'd claimed for ten of them...

I was good and gave the money back, but given that it had all been approved and signed off, I did sometimes wonder about the same "What if..." question ;)

OTOH, I had it the other way around a few years earlier; I'd filled in the sort code for my bank incorrectly when filling in the forms for my new job. Which meant that come my very first payday, nothing landed in my bank.

Presumably though, someone else had a very pleasant surprise that day!

Thankfully, the bank just fixed it and the money appeared a week or so later, but that "what if" was far more stressful to contemplate!

These days, I think there's more error checking around such things, but I'm still very twitchy whenever it comes to submitting financial details...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon