Reply to post:

Texas blacks out, freezes, and even stops sending juice to semiconductor plants. During a global silicon shortage

low_resolution_foxxes

Jellied, was that really necessary? I started work as a technician at Texaco offshore and I happen to work in wind power these days, I've had good experiences with both industries. Getting all tribal and blaming either industry is rather dumb, considering we have gas, wind and nuclear units operating below expectations.

If I misspoke about the reasons for STP1 3GW nuclear power station going down, I apologise. I note that officially the reason provided is similar to the quick explanation I provided (cold weather water failure):

"The trip resulted from a loss of feedwater attributed to a cold weather-related failure of a pressure sensing lines to the feedwater pumps, causing a false signal, which in turn, caused the feedwater pump to trip. This event occurred in the secondary side of the plant (non-nuclear part of the unit)."

https://atomicinsights.com/south-texas-project-unit-1-tripped-at-0537-on-feb-15-2021/

Source appears legit. I would take the Guardian with a pinch of salt ;)

In any case, if I was a biased wind power analyst, I would not be admitting that a bunch of wind power assets are down. It is what it is - no excuses, many are just not specced out to operate in this weather.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon