Reply to post: Or use Android tablets

This Brit biz's seven-screen laptop is something to behold

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Or use Android tablets

Or just use Android tablets. If it was for network security monitoring as they claim, its all networked anyway. Pretty much what I do with Alldocube iPlay 40's all stacked up on the same network talking via UDP. Why would the screens need to be attached together if all these need is to be attached to the network?

Get them in bulk, 6 (2 column x 3 landscape screens) sets you back around $1000. For that you get 48 core, 48GB Ram, ~750GB of storage.

Buy a few multiport USB chargers (I use LDNIO's), $8 x 2 to charge them.

Mount them with little plastic tablet stands (one at the bottom, one flipped over to hold the top). $1 per pair, so $6 total.

Screw those mounts into a 2x4 piece of wood, I like my screens curved, it looks more stylish if they curve around you.

Write your own software to connect them up, a free weekend coding.

You end up with 6 x touch screens not just passive screens, touch screens. Buy an active stylus ($12) if you like. The one they ship has magnets in it, so a couple of well placed screws for it to stick to.

I gave up waiting for the Android world to deliver me the sort of fast big android tablet I need, and instead just DIY'd a solution. Turns out to be cheaper and a lot lot better. Scalable!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon