Reply to post: Re: They think they are gods..

DBA heroes don't always wear capes. Sometimes they just have a bunch of forgotten permissions

DS999 Silver badge

Re: They think they are gods..

That sort of narrow silo'ing has become more and more popular in the managed services world. I expect the reason is because they wanted to hire cheaper people who had a 'certification' in one thing. People who know for example Unix admin, EMC storage admin, and Oracle DBA are a lot more expensive than someone only able to handle just one of those.

When I've contracted for such managed service providers I've tried to impress upon them the usefulness of at least having a few senior people who are skilled enough in multiple disciplines that they are allowed to "scale the wall" and for instance execute a complex change that requires working in more than one silo. The coordination required during changes is a kind of a pain ranging up to a nightmare otherwise.

Of course their real plan is to have everything done in India, at least until somewhere cheaper is found, so I guess from that perspective this makes sense as I imagine a guy fluent in multiple technologies can pretty much write his own ticket in India and wipe away most of the savings you'd otherwise get from outsourcing so they actively DON'T WANT to encourage the ability of such individuals to have a role in the managed services world.

Unfortunately it sucks for clients, as the more coordination that is required the slower things happen and the more mistakes that are made. But hey, a lot of that is on them for constantly choosing the lowest bid and telling their MS provider they expect a significantly lower price when they renew if they want to remain. So then you not only have the overhead of the silos and walls, but the shitstorm handover process from one MS provider to another where the incumbent has no incentive to make things easy on the new provider, and the new provider has every incentive to place blame on the incumbent for everything and start recommending change orders to fix everything they've supposedly done wrong (when much of the time it is just "we don't understand how the incumbent was doing things, and can't be bothered to try to figure it out ourselves")

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon