Reply to post: Re: I look forward to the day...

Vote machine biz Smartmatic sues Fox News and Trump chums for $2.7bn over bogus claims of rigged 2020 election

Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: I look forward to the day...

RE: "but I can't help wondering how far these companies will be allowed to go in stifling proper, fair debate in three years time when the whole election circus kicks off again... not exactly "democratic" when only one side is allowed to spread their current version of the truth, is it?)"

I suspect if it gets too troublesome, they'll just ban all politicians and political discussion. The right wing like to say their 1st Amendment rights are being violated. I've listened to lawyers who say the First Amendment does not apply. It applies specifically to government, not outside organisations, who are therefore fairly free to decide what they want discussed on their sites and in their facilities. Remember, if you join a social network, you are required to stick to their rules (usually shown in the terrms and conditions of service). If you don't like them, you are free to post on other services, even set up your own where you make the rules. The same applies to social networking sites used external hosting/cloud providers. They are free to leave, and move elsewhere.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon