Reply to post:

DBA heroes don't always wear capes. Sometimes they just have a bunch of forgotten permissions

My-Handle

I've found that works in some companies, but not in others. One company I used to work for was so good at that approach that very little got done in any decent timescale because of the sometimes-circular blame-chains that developed (some links justifiable, some just well-worded excuses).

Another company almost had the opposite problem. If something landed in your lap and there wasn't enough time to get the appropriate people involved, it was your job to fill the gaps to the best of your ability. No excuses. I've set sites live before with no input from the persons who usually supply content, imagery and design, nor any legal oversight on the various policies, terms and conditions that were required (all requested several times over a two-week period). At point of set-live, I made it quite clear to every senior manager involved in the project what I had done, why I had done it, and what really needed to be reviewed and by whom at the earliest opportunity.

A month later, still no changes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon