Reply to post: Re: Lacks the Polish?

LibreOffice 7.1 Community released with user-interface picker, other bits and bytes

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Lacks the Polish?

If it were such an obvious failure, why have LO incorporated it? I notice no one ever seems to answer this one.

That's because the answer to that one is so obvious that even an "expert" like yourself should have been able to work it out: to help people who have come from Word. It's not because everybody wants it, it's because it's an option that some people need - even bad choices are still choices, and supported in LO.

As for "Ihave been very productive for years because ..", well, in those days I was a consultant working for a large outfit with a tech support department that had a macro fetish, so every new report started off with a very badly structured set of header pages, making format code fragmentation pretty much inevitable.

Despite that, I could work very quickly and so could my colleagues - until the ribbon arrived. I don't doubt that Microsoft has improved on it since, but that's still only climbing back from badly harmed productivity in the first place. In man hours alone it would have saved us a fortune if we had been able to keep the old interface and migrate when we had the time and bandwidth to do so, but instead we had it rammed down our throats without options because Microsoft needed the money for needles "up"dates (it was mor a downgrade IMHO).

This is why LO eventually won the day for us. There are also other aspects that are more security related, but LO won out initially simply because it paid more attention to user needs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon