Reply to post: Re: "Old' and "solicitor" doesn't narrow things down...

You can drive a car with your feet, you can operate a sewing machine with your feet. Same goes for computers obviously

Stevie

Re: "Old' and "solicitor" doesn't narrow things down...

1996, new (and first) PC with fax software and a voiceview modem sitting in home office.

Phone rings at too-damn-early on a Saturday and I get fax squeal when I pick up. And again. And again.

So I go downstairs boot PC and make tea while that happens. Then I start the fax software and out prints some poor woman's lab results with - as I'd hoped - a cover sheet with the phone number of the sender.

I call them, young woman answers and we fall down the rabbit hole:

"You are faxing the wrong number. Please check your machine."

"Impossible!"

"Okay. Let's review for a moment. You say you are faxing the right number. *I* say you are faxing the wrong one. What are the alternatives? Either I am right and you are sending - let me see - Mrs Elsie Zzzzzz's medical records to a private address, or you are right and I am a crank caller who has called you and accused you of sending a fax at exactly the same time as you actually did send a fax, and I have guessed randomly the exact details of the fax you are sending. You choose the more likely scenario."

"Okay. I'll re-check the number I dialed."

"Thank you. And I will shred the sensitive personal medical documents you sent to me, shall I?"

"Yes." Click.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon