Reply to post: Re: Lacks the Polish?

LibreOffice 7.1 Community released with user-interface picker, other bits and bytes

WolfFan Silver badge

Re: Lacks the Polish?

No, Writer is NOT better than Word. Style support is not as good as Word 2003; Word style support has improved with every new version, so Word 2019 is _considerably_ better at it than Writer. Table support is improved over what it was, but still isn’t up to Word; LO’s problem is that Word has had good table support since 1986, LO has a lot to catch up on. At least they’re better with tables than with styles. (Yes, I spend a lot of my day with tables, and use styles a LOT, I don’t use Pages because I hate the way it does styles, and, to a lesser extent, tables.)

Worse, the suggested ‘save as ODT, export to DOCX’ causes problems. Part of it is that DOCX is a moving target. Part of it is that some LO features are not available in DOCX, including lots of stuff to do with styles and tables, and this appears to be deliberate; things under the hood are not quite compatible. Exporting causes complex documents to have serious problems. (Guess how I know) And because some features are not available in DOCX, you _must_ save as ODT and export… and then spend time fixing the problems.

The majority of my documents go to MS Office users. It’s simply easier to just use MS Office and have done.

I don’t care about the Ribbon. I really don’t. I do care about my documents. I can generate documents my way with MS Office and minimal effort, while it takes effort to do the same in LO, and more effort to fix the exports.

And, one more thing: there are MS Office versions available for iPad. No official LO for iPad. I can touch up my MS Office documents from my iPad, but not any LO documents. Being able to fix things on an iPad has been a lifesaver more than once. Not having an official iOS version is a significant handicap for LO.

YMMV.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon