Reply to post: Re: Key word is enterprise

Synology to enforce use of validated disks in enterprise NAS boxes. And guess what? Only its own disks exceed 4TB

LenG

Re: Key word is enterprise

Yeah, I just looked at the current compatibility list, which includes the warning:

Always install enterprise-level drives on the FS/SA/UC/XS+/XS series models.

It is highly recommended to use enterprise-level drives on your enterprise-level servers to ensure optimal performance.

This seems to give some indication of what Seagate consider Enterprise drives. If you look at the DS1621+ (my latest NAS) the drives are ordered by class which appears to be the manufacturer's designation of the drive. Classes include Enterprise/Enterprise NAS/NAS/Surveillance etc. If you look at the DS1621xs+ you see only Enterpise and Enterprise NAS.

I think the warning gives an indication of which models might be subject to this restriction. Of course the critical question is whether the restriction will be enforced by the device or simply by not offering warranty and service support if unblessed drives are used. Explicit rejection would play havoc with a second hand market.

The other problem with compatibility lists is that absence from the list does not necessarily mean the drive is incompatible. It could be untested or simply rejected for business reasons or any other excuse. My 18TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro disks are not on the list for either DS1621+ or DS1621xs+ even though all the smaller Ironwolf Pro disks are ll included. There is a toggle to show incompatible models - a list of two not including the Seagate so I assume it is simply too new to have been tested yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon