Reply to post: Re: the South African, the Spanish, the Denmark, the Brazilian, the Nigerian, etc. strains

European Commission redacts AstraZeneca vaccine contract – but forgets to wipe the bookmarks tab

LogicGate Silver badge

Re: the South African, the Spanish, the Denmark, the Brazilian, the Nigerian, etc. strains

Dear James,

I did not blame BoJo for all mutations.. However, mutations are a numbers game, and if you let high numbers of incidences occur, then you are more likely to create new and dangerous mutations..

The current UK government is behind:

"Herd immunity approach"

"Keep NHS beds available by sending un-tested and covid infected elderly back into elderly homes - Approach"

"Eat out to help out-approach"

To ignore the fact that the current UK government has done an incredible bad job at keeping the numbers down is to overlook obvious statistics. And before you come with the "but Belgium" argument, Belgium over-counts to be on the safe side, while the UK has been (may no longer be) under-counting.

I may be mis-informed, but from what I see, countries that did not manage to keep the numbers down, jumped on potential medical solutions as early as possible, maybe in some cases too early (ref: the mango menace). By trying to get ahead of the rest, these nations can create a run on available vaccines, to the detriment of everybody. My impression is the the US has been leaning on Pfizer, so that Pfizer vaccines produced in the US go mostly to the US, leaving the EU production to supply the rest of the world, including the UK.

Now, the EU ordered large numbers of Oxford vaccines. The available numbers that were to be delivered to the EU has been revised down twice now, leaving almost nothing, while the numbers being made available to the UK appears to have been increased in the same time. If this is correct, then this smells.

https://youtu.be/dyKjyCdnf_E (note; not un-biased)

At the same time, the tone of commenting seen in BBC articles as well as here now, is horrible to behold. So much vitriol, hatred and glee at perceived misfortune of others /

I have not sensed a similar tone on the opposite (EU) side. It is more a sense of sorrow, like watching a beloved family member succumb to serious mental illness.

I trace it back to Brexit, which in my opinion, was a horrible idea, living of the all to easily accepted lie of victim-hood (another thing the mango menace has also proven very adept at).

The EU vaccine plan, with it's issues, was aimed at solving this problem cooperatively, and not leaving the weaker members behind. I personally find this a noble effort, not worth the spiteful comments seen albove.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon