Reply to post: Seniors

The Fat iPhone, 11 years on: The iPad's over a decade old and we're still not sure what it's for

Tim99 Silver badge
Gimp

Seniors

I'm retired, but teach seniors as a volunteer (after fighting this stuff professionally for 50 years). Many of the 65+ missed out on computing, can be very wary of it, but realize that they probably "have to use it". The alternative was that their son/daughter did it all for them. In our experience the iPad works for many. We found that Android takes perhaps twice as long to teach and can require a lot of "hand holding" (Samsung - I'm looking particularly at you here). Phones, even big ones, are just too small. Almost nobody wants Windows (or Chrome, Linux etc) unless one of their children has supplied it. "Hand-me-downs" PCs and Android tablets are almost useless (they were handed down for a good reason). An iPadAir at AU$899 (£579) is affordable by many, the new iPad at AU$499 (£329) may be a bargain (particularly over 5 years).

The assistive technology is very useful for people with poor motor skills (Once the punter has wrested with Siri, many seniors also have limited typing skills). "Life savers" include: ordering (groceries), on-line banking, CentreLink, FaceTime, Photos (particularly when children/grandchildren are locked down inter-State), games, crosswords, etc.

I normally show them DuckDuckGo to get rid of most of Google's sales crap. For people who are plagued by web adverts, I demonstrate FireFox Focus - The free content blocker can be used by Safari.

On a personal level, I now use an iPad Pro more than any other computing device. Would I use it for large spreadsheets? (No) - Adding a bluetooth keyboard is useful for writing reports, and the ability to use a mouse and an HDMI adaptor is a good teaching and demonstration tool. Downsides include not being able to use plain text (I copy/paste from "QuickText"); having to load a PDF into Books to search for content; and too many websites assume that I'm using an iPhone...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon